If you’ve ever owned a Budgie, you know that their feathers can get pretty messy.
But what you may not know is that there is a specific time of year when Budgies molt their feathers. In this blog post, we will discuss everything you need to know about Budgies molting season.
The molting season for Budgies typically lasts from late summer to early fall. This is when Budgies will shed their old feathers and grow new ones.
During the molting season, you may notice that your Budgie’s feathers are looking a bit ragged. This is perfectly normal! As your Budgie sheds its old feathers, the new ones will start to grow in.
You may also notice that your Budgie is not as active as usual during the molting season. This is because the molting process can be quite taxing on your Budgie’s body. They will need to rest more to conserve energy.
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click on a link and choose to make a purchase I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
2. How do Budgies molt their feathers?
The molting process for Budgies is quite similar to the molting process for other birds.
First, your Budgie will start to shed its old feathers. This can happen all at once or in small batches.
As the old feathers are shed, you may notice that your Budgie’s new feathers are growing in. These new feathers will be shorter and thinner than the old ones.
Eventually, all of your Budgie’s old feathers will be shed and replaced with new ones.
The molting process can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on your Budgie’s molting cycle.
During the molting season, it is important to make sure that your Budgie has a good diet and plenty of rest. This will help them to stay healthy and strong during the molting process. Read This blog post
3. What to expect during the molting season?
You should expect during the molting season that :
- Feathers may first lose their sheen
- Hens can be more productive of egg-laying
- Younger Female Budgie can recover faster than the older hens
- Some Budgies may be bored
- Your Birds can get cold because The bird’s feathers make the bird warm, especially in cold seasons
4. How to help your Budgie through molting season?
The molting season can be a challenging time for Budgies, as they lose their old feathers and grow new ones.
Here are a few tips to help your Budgie through the molting process:
- Make sure your Budgie has a good diet during molting season. A balanced diet will help your bird to stay healthy and strong during this time.
You can read more about Budgie diets here:
- Keep your Budgie’s environment clean and free of debris.
Budgie’s feathers are very sensitive, and debris can irritate their skin.
clean water for your bird to bathe in.
You can read more about cleaning your Budgie’s cage here:
Cleaning Your Budgie’s Cage: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Provide for your budgie plenty of rest (sleeping cycle)
During molting season, it is also important to make sure that your Budgie has plenty of rest.
The molting process can be quite taxing on your bird’s body, so they will need to conserve their energy.
You can read more about Budgie’s sleep here:
How Much Sleep Does a Budgie Need?
5. After molting - tips for keeping your Budgie's feathers clean and healthy
After molting season, your Budgie will have a new set of feathers. Here are a few tips to help keep their feathers clean and healthy:
- Groom your Budgie regularly. This will help to remove any dirt or debris that may be stuck in their feathers.
- Keep your Budgie’s cage clean. A clean environment will help to prevent your bird from getting sick.
- Provide your Budgie with a healthy diet. A balanced diet will help to keep their feathers strong and healthy.
The molting process is a hard part of the life of your budgies. however, by following these tips, you can make sure that your bird gets through the molting season healthy and strong.
Do you have any other tips for helping Budgies through molting season? Share them in the comments below!
Happy Molting Season! 🙂
I am a proud Budgie owner who loves to share everything that I discover and learn about Budgie’s. EnglishBudgie.com is the ultimate resource for learning everything about your pet Budgie.